Bayer CropScience has created an amateur super strength glyphosate herbicide that has received authorisation by the Health and Safety Executive.
It is a systemic weed killer that targets and kills most deep-rooted and tough plants. For example, it can kill weeds such as bracken, couch grass, rhododendron, unwanted shrubs, Japanese knotweed, nettles, ground elder, docks, ivy, brambles, and brushwood. It does not kill tree stumps, for that you will need roundup tree stump killer.
Here is a full list of this product’s specifications:
- Product name: Garden Super Strength Weedkiller
- MAPP number: 16214
- Coverage: 250 square metres
- Authorisation holder: Cheminova A/S, Thyboronvej 76-78, Dk7673 Harboore, Denmark. (Registered company number: DK12760043)
- Manufacturer: Bayer CropScience Limited, 230 Cambridge Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, CB4 0WB.
- Authorisation country: United Kingdom.
- Application type: Sachets
- Company phone number: +44(0)1223 226500
- Company fax number: +44(0)1223 426240
- Form: Granular
- Colour: White
- Oxidizing properties: None
- Water solubility: soluble
- Odour: Weak, amine
- pH: ca. 4 at 1% (deionized water)
- Manufacturer email: email@example.com
How the weed killing formula works
The Bayer Super Strength glyphostate weed killer works by using its ingredients that are made up of water soluble granules and close to 700 g/kg of glyphosate. The other main part is ethoxylated hydrogenated tallow alkylamines. It’s special formula works on all tough weeds.
Benefits of using this weed killer
- Available in various sizes to suit your needs. For example, you can buy this weed killer in 6 sachets, 12 sachets, or 18 sachets increments.
- Biodegrades into the soil that allows for easy replanting.
- Super concentrated on tackling all tough weeds down to the roots
- Perfect for clearing gardens that are overrun with weeds
- No need to measure doses because it is pre-dosed with easy to follow instructions.
- Kills weed in at little as three days
Best time to use Bayer Garden Super Strength
Believe it or not, certain weed killers are more effective during certain times of the year. Opt to use this herbicide any time when the plants are showing green leaves and are actively growing.
Preferably, the best time to apply it is during the period from early spring to late summer.
Avoid applying in windy, rainy, or drought weather conditions. Using during windy times can cause the weed killer to drift when you are spraying it.
Rainy weather conditions cause the soil to be too moist and promote run-off which is a bad thing.
Droughts are not an ideal time to apply this herbicide because there are very less microbial organisms during dry conditions. As a result, the weed killer substance lingers around longer because there are not enough microbial organisms to break down and digest the herbicide.
Also, avoid applying this weed killer in frost conditions.
Stay tuned to your weather network to check whether if any of the above conditions are anticipated.
After application, it will take up to anywhere between a few days to 4 weeks for the weeds to die or completely disappear. If weeds re-grow after some time, it is recommended to treat the area again.
Where can you use it?
Bayer Super Strength weed killer can be used on unwanted vegetation and on areas where there is no intention to replant desired vegetation.
You can also use it to remove weeds before cultivation, on paths, patios, driveways, or waste ground
Furthermore, once the weeds are dead, you can either leave them there to compost. You may replant vegetation or sown seeds after the treated area is dry.
Instructions: How to use to achieve excellent results
There is a simple 5 step process to using this product:
- Open the sachet and take the inner water-soluble packet and put it into a garden sprayer filled with 1 litre of water. You can also use a watering can that is filled with 4 litres of water. The inner sachet bags are packaged in an ethylene vinyl alcohol water soluble bag Make sure to not open the bag inside the sachet. Basically, it works the same as if you were to use a tea sachet.
- Let the bag stay in the water for 2 minutes to allow the bag to dissolve into the water. After 2 minutes shake or stir carefully to create the weed killing mixture
- Spray on the affected areas evenly over 25 square metres and do not let the mixture to run-off via the leaves.
- If treating woody weeds such as honeysuckle, trumpet creeper, and kudzu: spray evenly over 15 square metres. Also, avoid run-off falling from leaves.
- Once done spraying, thoroughly wash all equipment before putting it away.
How do I kill the weed without harming the desired, surrounding plants/trees?
This is a neat question that many buyers have before purchasing a weed control product or tool. Weed killers that only target weeds and leave desired plants unharmed are called selective weed killers. However, most weed killers on the market today are non-selective, meaning they kill any weed that makes contact with the spray. Fear not! There is a solution to this problem.
Here’s the deal, you want to use a strong weed killer without harming desired plants. What do you do?
Well, you can resort to using the Hozelock Weeder Stick. This stick is different from commercial garden sprayers. You can fill up the stick with the Bayer weed killer and place the cone on top of the weed plant. It will lock the weed in and give it a dose between 1 millimetre and five millimetres. There is no need to bend down. Read our hozelock weeder stick review for more information.
There are a few safety precautions you need to know. These precautions are also listed in the safety data sheet supplied with each purchase.
- It is harmful to aquatic life so if you are looking to get rid of blanket weed, try a different product.
- Keep pets and children away from treated area until the spray has dried.
- Follow instructions to avoid risks to humans and the environment.
- If contact is made with herbicide, rinse the area thoroughly with water.
- Do not let the substance run-off into surface water, drainage, and ground water.
- Wear a respirator mask with a particle filter, and CE marked nitrile rubber gloves, coveralls, and eye goggles.
- Thoroughly wash all equipment after each use.
If you found this review helpful, please leave us a comment or show us your support by sharing it on social media.