Vitax SBK brushwood killer is a strong weedkiller that eliminates weeds without harming the surrounding grass or vegetation. It is a leading product with over 100 five-star reviews on Amazon.co.uk. It is available in 125 ml, 500 ml, 750 ml, and 1-litre sizes.
How it works
Vitax SBK is apt for killing weeds such as brambles, bamboo, thistles, woody weeds, nettles, ivy, dock, unwanted saplings, and tree stumps. It is a hormone-type herbicide and it imitates plant hormones causing distorted plant growth when sprayed onto weeds. Furthermore, it is a selective herbicide that targets broad-leaved weeds without causing damage to desired plants.
Hormone weedkillers use a translocation and foliar acting mechanism that work through the leaves of the weed to reach down into the plant’s roots.
They also have a residual effect which means the spray lingers around in the soil for a couple of weeks.
While most weedkillers use glyphosate as their active ingredient, Vitax SBK utilises a special formulation containing triclopyr. Triclopyr is an organic substance in the pyridine classification.
Triclopyr biodegrades into the soil with a half-life of 60 days. However, triclopyr will remain active in dead vegetation for about 3 months.
The best time to apply SBK brushwood killer on tough weeds is between spring and autumn when the weeds are actively growing. The best time to use on woody weeds is between summer and autumn when the soil is moist. Tree stumps best respond to treatment between autumn and winter when the sap is rising.
Also, you’ll want to plan ahead and use this weedkiller 6 weeks before re-planting or sowing.
Avoid using in unfavourable weather conditions including drought, frost, and rain. Furthermore, do not use during windy weather conditions because it increases the chances for the spray to drift.
Do not use SBK brushwood killer on newly-turfed or seeded lawns.
- Shake the bottle thoroughly
- Get a garden sprayer and mix 30 millilitres of weed killer with 1.5 litres of water and treat up to 10 square metres.
- Adjust the nozzle setting to coarse to prevent drift onto surrounding plants.
- Spray onto affected areas.
Follow these precautions to ensure your safety while using Vitax SBK:
- Do not use to control aquatic weeds as solution may be harmful to marine life
- Wear appropriate safety equipment such as goggles, gloves, face mask, and overalls.
- Do not let mixture run-off into streams, ponds, or the drainage system
- Children and pets should be excluded from the area until the spray is dry.
For more information on safety, refer to the MSDS sheet supplied with your purchase.
Vitax was established in the late 1800’s They have a couple of production and distribution centres in the United Kingdom that manufacture the SBK brushwood killer. Overall, this triclopyr-based herbicide is great if you are looking for a way to clean up your lawn without hurting your grass.
- Works to kill tree stumps and stubborn weeds
- Does not harm grass
- Affordable pricing
- Some buyers have found it to be less effective on ivy
For a similar product check out the Westland Resolva herbicide.
If you found this review helpful, help us by sharing it through your favourite social media website or leave a comment below.